All league games will be governed by the official rules as adopted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (These are the rules utilized by MSHSAA as well) with the following exceptions and additions.
length of games
- All games will have two 18 minute halves.
- All games will have a running clock until the final two minutes of the second half. In the event of a 15+ point lead, the clock will run the final two minutes.
- The clock will only stop during technical free throws or any official time out.
- K-3rd grade – no full court press, most guard half court only
- No pressing by a team with a 20 point lead
- First OT is 2 minutes.
- Second OT is 2 minutes.
- Third is free throws (First team to make while other team misses wins).
- Each team is allowed 3 thirty second timeouts that will not carry over into overtime.
- In the event of overtime, each team will be given 1 timeout.
- Game time is forfeit time.
- A team must have 4 players to start the game.
- A team may not “pick up” players not on their team to have enough to play unless the opposing coach approves. If the opposing coach protests, the game may be played with the understanding that the team using the “pick up” players will officially forfeit the game, no matter the score.
- This rule is in the interest of kids getting to play a game no matter the situations.
- In the interest of sportsmanship, if one team has only 4 players, we encourage the opposing team to use 4 players as well. This is not required, but is encouraged.
- K-2nd grade boys and girls – 8ft goal
- 3rd-12th grade boys and girls – 10ft goal
- NOTE: 3rd grade can request a 9ft goal if players are having difficulties with the 10ft goal
- K-6th grade boys and girls – 28.5″, regulation girls ball
- 7th-12th grade girls – 28.5″, regulation girls ball
- 7th-12th grade boys – 29.5″, regulation boys ball
free throw distance
- NOTE: K-4th grade players may land on line, but not cross it.
- K-2nd grade – Shoot from 9 feet
- 3rd grade – Shoot from 12 feet
- 4th-12th grade – Shoot from regulation
- All players must have uniforms of matching colors and numbers on the back.
- Teams are encouraged to have reversible uniforms in the event both teams have the same colors.
Game & warm-up balls
- SSC will supply 2 warm-up balls per team and a game ball.
- Coaches are responsible for players returning balls to the rack at the end of the warm up.
- K-2nd grade – no rule. Taller players will be encouraged to not “camp out” in the lane.
- 3rd grade – 5 seconds, official will verbally assisted
- 4th grade – 3 seconds, loosely enforced, verbally assisted
- 5th-12th grade – 3 seconds enforced
- Each team may have no more than 2 coaches and only one may stand and/or address officials.
- Water and sport drinks only on the bench and only in bottles or closed cups.
- No soda on the benches.
- If a coach receives a technical foul, he or she is required to sit the remainder of the game.
- If a spectator refuses to leave when directed to, the team coach could be assessed a technical or the team could be forced to forfeit the game.
- If a coach refuses to leave the court area when directed, the team may be forced to forfeit.
- “We want situations to be rare. Anyone can get emotional and make poor decisions, but cooler heads need to prevail. Authorities will be used swiftly if needed to ensure the safety of everyone involved.”
man defense division (6 player fouls)
- Must make an obvious attempt to start in man.
- Traps are allowed after ball has clearly moved by pass or dribble.
- This division is to improve your team’s defense as well as increase opportunities for both team, etc. Please understand the Refs cannot expend all of their focus on watching for zone, so encourage players to stay consistent with this concept.